Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Happy Birthday Nancy!

From Nancy:

December 9th. It's my birthday ...
Simply put, this is my best birthday ever.
It's good to be alive!
I could end this post there, but I'm rather thrilled to share how well I am doing. Since my parole from RIC last Tuesday, my vision in my right eye has improved greatly (still not able to get through all the emails; sorry ...) My endurance has soared. When I get tired at night, I simply put my head back for 15 minutes and then go make lunches. I have totally ditched the grandma walker (took me 3 days).
My new physical therapist at RIC Northbrook calls me "super-high functioning." I passed every balance and physical test; I am simply working on endurance. To say the least, I love everything about RIC Northbrook, mostly because they are amazed and thrilled about how much I have accomplished since my ridiculously-long surgeries.
Of all days, my birthday, I am appreciative to have another chance at life. I am so fortunate to have had each member of every medical team. (And now my many doctor friends are giving me extra TLC for minor residual issues,)
Thank you so much for caring enough about me to check this post. Thank you, again, for honoring my crazy wishes. To those of you who are as stubborn as I am and did what you wanted to anyway, thanks, too ... sigh.
To paraphrase George Bailey from It's a Wonderful Life, "No man is a failure who has friends ..." To say the least, I have never felt more loved than I do now. I have never felt more successful in life than I do right now. Thank you.
Nancy

14 comments:

  1. NEM,
    Wow, again you amaze me. I have tears in my eyes as I say Happy Birthday!
    SWA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy! I am so delighted to hear all your great news. You are truly an inspiration in every way, shape and form. What an absolutely wonderful gift on your birthday: to be home and feeling so great! Please let me know if there is anything you need/want/don't need, but wouldn't mind having . . . . HAPPY BIRTHDAY! -Diane Silverberg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy damn birthday! It's so great that you're not a vegetable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy,

    HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!
    and we wish you many more future Birthdays!
    Wow, your recovery is amazing and I am serious about training with you for a 10K this spring!

    Love, Karen and Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nancy,
    A big hug on a truly milestone birthday!!!
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!
    Love,
    Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a good thing I didn't find out it was your b-day until tonight at 9 pm, or I would have had to break your wishes for 'no special treatment'! Not 'helping you' has taught me so much about me.

    Love and admiration,

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nancy, Happy Birthday! You are a remarkable woman and I am so proud of you! Here is to a wonderful 2010! Love always, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nancy:

    Happy belated birthday!

    There's no finer birthday gifts than LIFE, HEALTH and HAPPINESS and you've got 'em all goin' on, girl.

    May you continue to receive and cherish these gifts each and every day. Birthday or not, hug each moment; they are all special. :)

    With love always, Ann and Clan (Kenny, Andrew and Emily)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Belated Birthday, Nancy.
    We're so happy to hear how well you're doing.
    Keep up the good work!
    Much Love,
    Karen and Davis Young

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy day after. How much better can it get? To be "super-high functioning" on your 25th birthday is so wonderful! May your progress continue by leaps and bounds. See you soon.
    Love - Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Nancy:
    Happy Birthday from your friends at Loyola. I had no idea how to post a comment, which is why you haven't heard from me. So sorry. Thank you for your wonderful voice mail this week. We all miss you and wish you the very best. From your most recent post, it sounds like you are coming along splendidly. We are so happy for you.
    Marianne Deagle

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Nancy. I didn't realize it was your birthday when we talked last week (it was so great to hear you always cheerfull voice). SO, Happy Belated! I'm sure it was a great day! Here's to you! -Robin

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Nancy,

    So glad to hear that you are doing great! You continue to amaze me, super high functioning sounds with only tired and minor tweaks sounds great! Happy belated birthday, so happy to see you are making the kids lunches - aren't the mundane things in life the best! Thinking of you, Sandra Peters

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Nancy!!!!

    Finally got back on. Best news!!!! So happy to hear of your amazing progress and the absolute BEST news...Your Home Sweet Home!! I sound like Dorothy : ) You have an angel on your shoulder. Looking forward to an incredible New Year in 2010...Healthy, Happy and surrounded by the people who love you. Tyson's

    ReplyDelete