Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving Day Update from Barry

Below is a post from Barry. I am THRILLED to be posting more than 2 sentences!! For the first time in my role as Blogmaster, I am going to take a couple of creative liberties. First, as I read Barry's TOP TEN REASONS WHY THE GLAZERS ARE THANKFUL THIS THANKSGIVING, I realized there is a glaring omission. So, I am adding this 11th reason:

11. Barry. While I am sure Nancy will post later about how wonderful Barry has been throughout all of this, I wanted to say how thankful we, as Nancy's friends, are to Barry for his love and support for Nancy during all of this. Also, in addition to a full plate of responsibilities at the hospital, home, and office, Barry has made time to reassure us and keep us informed during the past week and a half. Thank you Barry - and get some rest this weekend. You deserve it.

Enjoy your time with family and friends today... Happy Tofurkey Day :)

Gayle



****************************************************************************************************************************************

All:
This is Barry, the current gatekeeper of Nancy's Network of Friends. I am pleased to report that Nancy quickly made it to the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago and she will be home as soon as she gets stronger. Pretty soon, she will be communicating with you via the blog.
First, an apology. Thanks to Gayle Byck, Pam and Scott Shimamoto, and Doug Wilson, this blog was set up for Nancy. I have tried to balance your need to know Nancy's status with my sense of privacy and superstition. There have been many highs and some lows, but I didn't want to take everyone on this rollercoaster or jinx anything. Thanks to Gayle for honoring my wishes.
Thanksgiving is Nancy's favorite holiday. Look what she had to do to get out of hosting this year.
The Glazer family has much to be thankful for at this time. HERE’S THE TOP TEN REASONS WHY THE GLAZERS ARE THANKFUL THIS THANKSGIVING:

10. Nancy's Legion of Friends. It was amazing to see the breadth of Nancy’s friends from all aspects of her life. From coast to coast, your thoughts and prayers have worked wonders. To the locals, we appreciate your honoring Nancy's wishes. Your day will come.
9. Robbins, Salomon, and Patt Ltd. Once again, thank you for your support. Sorry about the insurance premiums.
8. My Foxhole Friends (you know who you are). You always have been, still are, and will be there for me. A special shout out to Dr. Rosenberg and the Drs. Berkowitz for your medical interventions and translations.
7. The Mackeviches, Hesdorffers, Kings, and Mary. As always, thank you for being there. I can't thank you enough.
6. Nana, Fern, and Emily. Thanks for watching over the kids when I couldn't be there.
5. Northwestern Memorial Hospital. From the doctors to the nurses and everybody else, Nancy received wonderful care.
4. Drs. Fishman, Bendok, Koht, Joe, Brkic, and your teams. Led by Dr. Batjer, you are the Dream Team. Thanks for your fantastic work. By the way, the entire schwannoma was removed and Nancy will not need a gamma knife.
3. Dr. Hunt Batjer. You are THE BEST, leading Nancy’s “Fantastic Voyage.” Words are inadequate to thank the man who saved Nancy twice. We were so fortunate that you came from Texas in 1995. Sorry that baseball thing didn't work out for you. May we meet only over pristine MRIs.
2. Dana, Sami, and Tracy. Throughout, you guys put your mother first and were low maintenance. I will miss our nightly team meetings. And pumpkin pie really is a vegetable.
1. Nancy. I don't know why you keep having to confront these medical challenges, but your strength, courage, and attitude are amazing. We love you!
To everyone: A happy and HEALTHY Thanksgiving.


Barry

8 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving, all! Barry - so great to hear from you today. Your top ten list is perfect, and I echo Gayle's thoughts in number eleven and am thankful that you are there through all the good times and through all the tough stuff. Nancy - I know you are making your own top ten list today. You have so much to be thankful for this year - even more than usual. And number one is that your surgery is behind you, and you can focus on getting stronger so you can get home. Happy Day, all!
    Love to you and your extended families - Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tears of joy are falling over here at the Slaws as we read your post. We await your green light for us to jump in and assist you in any way. In the meantime, know you have our 200% support - and 1000% love. Locals in waiting....Ann, Kenny, Andrew and Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. I echo Ann's comments above. I reflected yesterday on how thankful I am to have Nancy and the Glazers in my life. They are all a source of strength and inspiration to us all. You continue to be in my family's thoughts and prayers and we are here to help in whatever small way that we can.
    All of our love,
    Scott, Caroline, Clay and Lila

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy, Barry, Dana, Sami, and Tracy,
    You continue to be in our thoughts and prayers, and we are glad to hear about Nancy's progress. We agree with Gayle that Barry indeed belongs on his Top Ten Reasons Why the Glazers are Thankful this Thanksgiving list! Nancy and Barry, you have shown us all how powerful and healing strong love and support can be.

    Thinking of you.
    --Debbie, Gary, Lisa and Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful post to read today! I have only known the Glazer family a short time, but boy does the past, present and future shine through in these comments. I knew Nancy and Tracy were special peopole I was blessed to meet, but the entire Glazer Family has been a strong inspiration to me the last few weeks. I am so THANKFUL to be a part of this family's love. I will be thinking of you often, Nancy, and can't wait to see you and Tracy again soon. :) Barry, your daughter showed so much strength and courage, you and Nancy should be very proud...I know I am.
    Hugs,
    Nancy Swidler

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Nancy, Barry, and family,
    We loved reading Bud's Top Ten Things About Thanksgiving!
    We are thankful for your friendship and Nancy's recovery!
    We are thinking of you now and praying for a speedy recovery!

    We look forward to getting together soon in Deerfield!
    We are here for you. Let us know if you need anything!
    All Our Love Forever and Always,
    Betty and Sherwin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just to let you know that we are thinking about the Glazer family and hoping that Nancy's recovery is coming along well.
    Karen and Davis Young

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nancy

    I have to agree....Thanksgiving certainly is one of my favorite holidays as well. Family,home cooked meal, dessert, and being grateful...rank pretty high...What's not to love! Yeah....you are in Rehab...you are on the uphill climb and WILL make it to the top with all the positive energy from the people who love you....stay strong : )

    Love..The Tyson's

    ReplyDelete